The Health Insurance Marketplace
Health insurance is more accessible and more affordable for thousands of Montanans. Are you ready for the next Health Insurance Marketplace Open Enrollment Period? Open Enrollment is the time when you can apply for a new Marketplace plan, keep your current plan, or pick a new one.
Four key dates you should know:
- November 1, 2016: Open Enrollment started — first day you can enroll in a 2016 insurance plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Coverage can start as soon as January 1, 2017.
- December 15, 2016: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start January 1, 2017
- January 1, 2017: 2017 coverage starts for those who enroll or change plans by December 15.
- January 15, 2017: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start February 1, 2017
- January 31, 2017: 2017 Open Enrollment ends. Enrollments or changes between January 16 and January 31 take effect March 1, 2017.
To buy Marketplace insurance outside of Open Enrollment, you must qualify for a Special Enrollment Period due to a qualifying life event like marriage, birth or adoption of a child, or loss of other health coverage.
Find local help and get covered! Click here for more information:
How can you get ready to take advantage of the new marketplace? A good place to start is by gathering the necessary documents, which includes:
- Social Security Numbers (or document numbers for legal immigrants)
- Employer and income information for every member of your household who needs coverage (for example, from pay stubs or W-2 forms—Wage and Tax Statements)
- Policy numbers for any current health insurance plans covering members of your household
- A completed Employer Coverage Tool on page 2 of the health insurance exchange’s preparation document designed to help you gather necessary information on every job-based plan that you or someone in your household is eligible for. (Click here to access that document: https://www.healthcare.gov/apply-and-enroll/get-ready-to-apply/
Need help now?
If you need assistance with the process, you can talk to a real, live person in our community who can help with the Health Insurance Marketplace and Medicaid. Called Certified Application Counselors, they are trained , certified, and available. Their help is always free and confidential and they will help provide as little or as much help as you need. Have a few questions? Not a problem, Just give any one of them a call and ask!
Gallatin City County Health Department
Bozeman: (406) 582-3100
Bozeman: (406) 585-1360
Belgrade: (406) 922-0820
All other areas of Gallatin County: (406) 585-1360 or (406) 222-1111
Livingston: (406) 222-1111
Bozeman: (406) 587-0681
Check out Frequently Asked Questions about Open Enrollment here.