Behavioral or Mental Health Crisis Intervention and Resources
When a behavioral health crisis occurs it’s important to know what steps to take to ensure someone stays safe and gets the needed help. Below are questions and tactics to help manage the situation and inform health care or law enforcement officials.
Is someone suicidal or depressed?
- Ask directly if they are suicidal, if there is a specific plan and if they have access to this plan. Ensure they are safe and ask if someone is with them.
Does the situation involve drugs or alcohol?
- What behaviors is the person exhibiting?
- What did they take or use and how much did they consume?
- Is the person aggressive or suicidal?
- Are they vomiting or seizing?
Are they exhibiting bizarre or aggressive behavior?
- Has the person behaved in a manner that would inflict harm? Have they made any threats? If so, what is the nature of the threats?
- Has the person consumed alcohol or drugs?
- Are they taking any medications?
- Is the person hearing, seeing or smelling anything unusual?
- Does the person appear to be talking to themselves?
- Do they appear frightened, angry, agitated or depressed?
If there is an immediate safety concern, call 911 and ask for a Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) Officer. CIT officers and deputies are trained in helping with mental health crisis.
If the person in crisis is over 18 years old, you can go to the Emergency Department at your nearest hospital, or to the Hope House in Bozeman, 701 Farmhouse Lane, 406.585.1130.
If the person in crisis is under 18 years old, go to the Emergency Department at your nearest hospital and ask for the Crisis Response Team.
Call the Help Center’s 24-hour crisis line: dial 211 or call 406.586.3333.
Text “MT” to 741-741 for crisis support.
Alcohol and Drug Services 406.586.5493
(Abuse, Support Prevention Education Network, Livingston)
Big Sky Medical Center 406.995.6995
Bozeman Health Emergency Room 406.585.1000
(Domestic Violence Shelter, Bozeman)
Hope House 406.585.1130
Law Enforcement/EMS Dial 911- Ask for a CIT Officer
Livingston Healthcare 406.222.3541
SW Chemical Dependency, Park County 406.222.2812
The Help Center Dial 211 or 406.586.3333